top of page


In a followup to an article we posted last year we are going to discuss in more detail permitted development. If you have not read that introduction it can be found here.

Staying up to date with the ever-changing planning policy will help you take full advantage of them. To help we’ve compiled a useful post to provide an overview if you’re thinking about going down the Permitted Development route. It’s worth noting that the PD Rights associated with dwellings will not be the same for maisonettes, flats, or commercial buildings and they differ in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. This advice pertains to developments within England.

What is allowed under permitted development?

Householder Permitted Development Rights fall into a series of classes. These categories reflect the scope of the works being planned and are summarised below:

Class A - Extensions

Class B – Additions to Roof

Class C – Other Alterations to the Roof

Class D - Porches

Class E – Building etc. (Outbuildings)

Class F – Hard Surfaces

Class G – Chimneys and Flues

Class H – Microwave Antennas

As a rule of thumb, you can extend your property by 8m to the rear with a single storey extension or 6m with a double extension. However, the extension mustn’t cover more than 50% of the garden or protrude further than the original building line of the principal elevation. Conservatories are restricted by the same rules and side extensions are permitted under strict height and width restrictions. Unsurprisingly, it must also be built in the same or similar material to the existing property.

You can also convert your loft into living accommodation by extending it by up to 40m3 for terraces or 50m3 for semi/detached dwellings. Dormers and roof windows can be added but must not extend beyond the plans of the roof slope at the front of the house.

One specific example of Permitted Development Rights is ‘Class Q Development’. You can find out more about Class Q development by reading Arkhi’s Simple Guide to Class-Q Permitted Development.

Do you have PD rights?

In some cases, generally in conservation areas, the Permitted Development Rights associated with your dwelling may have been revoked by the Local Planning Association. This will mean that any development on the dwelling will need express Planning Consent available through Planning Permission. Other areas where permitted development rights are restricted are national parks, areas of outstanding natural beauty, world heritage sites, and the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads

It's also worth noting that balconies, verandas, raised platforms (above 300mm), and driveways made with non-porous materials are not covered by PD Rights. It’s always worth checking with your LPA to clarify whether you have Permitted Development Rights for your property.

What is the next step?

If, after reading this post, you realise you might need planning permission, take a look at our other helpful guide to the planning process. At Arkhi, we have extensive experience with permitted development across a variety of planning application types to ensure a smooth and transparent process for our clients. If you’d like to discuss your scheme with our team, get in touch on 01260 540170 or drop us an email at


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page